Initial Network Setup
After making the hardware connections outlined in the Installation Overview list, the following information will help you to establish a network connection. Your connection instructions will vary depending on your chosen physical connections.
- If your unit is connected to your network, you can quickly find and communicate with your VersaPNT web user interface ("Web UI", used to configure and monitor the unit)
- via the default IP address, and a PC configured with the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0)
- using a DHCP-assigned address and a PC also connected to your network. For more information, see Zero Configuration Setup.
- If your unit is connected directly to a PC via the USB connection or an Ethernet port: VersaPNT has a Command Line Interpreter ("CLI"). You will need a terminal emulator program installed on the PC that will be used to configure VersaPNT in order to communicate. Follow the instructions below, or see Setting up a Terminal Emulator for more detailed instructions and a list of CLI commands. Using the serial CLI connection, you can set up access to the Web UI by setting or identifying an IP address on your network. (See Assigning a Static IP Address).
VersaPNT network settings default to static IP addresses. The Ethenet ports come preconfigured with IP addresses as follows:
Eth0 - 192.168.1.1
Eth1 - 192.168.1.2
- If you are using a USB connection through the multi I/O connector, driver installation may be necssary. On the PC connected to the unit, new hardware (the USB interface) will be detected. The correct driver should be installed automatically. If not, download the driver from www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm, and install it manually via the instructions for your operating system.
- Start the terminal emulator program on the PC. Select the COM port that is assigned to the USB interface:
Access the CLI via ssh or telnet: The required port configuration is 115200 8N1:
Press the Return key, and enter the login credentials:
If you are on a DHCP-enabled network, you can assign an IP address by enabling DHCP on your unit. Use the
dhcp4set <x> oncommand, (x being 0/1 for ETH0 and ETH1, respectively).
You can use this IP address to login to the VersaPNT Web UI and then set a static IP address, subnet mask and gateway. (This can also be done via the CLI and a terminal emulator. See Assigning a Static IP Address).
If you are NOT on a DHCP-enabled network, your unit's IP address is set to the default for each Ethernet port, unless you have assigned a new static IP address.
Note: The default login credentials are:
User name = spadmin
Password = admin123 (will not be displayed on the screen)
Note: For your reference, the command helpcli produces a list of available commands. Press the space key to display the next page, or the b key to display the previous page.
Note: Should it become necessary to leave the command help mode (indicated by a command line prompt ":"), press Q, or Ctrl C.
For more detailed information about setting a static IP address for your unit, see Setting up an IP Address
Or, proceed to Accessing the Web UI (it is recommended that you have identified or set your unit IP address for this step).